Eyeing up pricey products but just can’t part with the cash? You can DIY aromatherapy, spend less money, and have WAY more fun
If you like to relax with aromatherapy, we’ve got great news for you. This growing trend makes a perfect pair with cannabidiol! And best of all for all you crafty peeps: DIY aromatherapy is, indeed, a thing.
Aromatherapy is the use of inhaling essential oils to tackle things like stress, anxiety, insomnia, and even headaches. Admittedly, the research is limited. But there are small studies that support these benefits (and a whole lot of anecdotal evidence, which you can take with a grain of salt!)
You’ve probably seen CBD aromatherapy in stores that range from beauty stores to department stores to home goods stores… but you’re limited to what’s on the shelf. And there are hundreds of possible combos, so it’s a shame not to use them!
DIYing your aromatherapy allows you to mix and match whatever you want! Do lavender and clary sage sing to you? Stick ‘em into a CBD bath bomb and chill out before bedtime. Want to try jasmine and rose together? No problem; just make your own CBD roller oil and keep it within reach!
Before you know it, you’ll find yourself crafting away at new smelly creations as an outlet after work or throwing make-your-own-massage-oil parties with your best buds on the weekend.
Here’s the know-how needed to DIY your own CBD aromatherapy:
What kind of CBD is best for aromatherapy?
There are two forms of CBD you can use in aromatherapy projects:
- Water-soluble CBD, which needs to be added to a carrier oil before you put it into your project (that’s especially important for vaporizer oils). The benefit is higher purity, but it adds some extra steps and time to the process, so it’s up to you if it’s worth it!
- CBD oil, which is ready to add to your projects (as long as the only ingredients are hemp extracts and the carrier oil). The benefit is that you can get up-and-going right away, but… well, there’s not really a downside. As long as you get it from a reputable source, you can absolutely find CBD oil for your DIY aromatherapy!
If you try the latter, make a note of the carrier oil that’s used in the product you choose. You’ll want to match that oil in your bath bombs (or bath salts, or vaporizer oils, et al.) so that it mixes smoothly.
Something to think about: Look for broad-spectrum CBD oil over isolate oil to take advantage of the synergistic chemicals found in hemp, including terpenes and flavonoids as well as other cannabinoids.
Choosing the components of your blend
Once you’ve got your choice of CBD in hand, it’s time for the fun part: Deciding how to make aromatherapy that’s totally tailored for you!
You can mix CBD with a single essential oil for a targeted benefit (or maybe you simply really love lavender) or combine it with two or three to get a complex aroma profile that does everything you want it to do.
Essential oil options include (but certainly aren't limited to):
- Basil: An older study concluded that fresh basil leaves (which essential oil is extracted from) led to “potential antistressor activity” in rabbits.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is known for helping with relaxation. A 2009 study found that “chamomile may have modest anxiolytic activity” in people who have generalized anxiety disorder.
- Grapefruit: The evidence is anecdotal, but some people say that grapefruit essential oil is rejuvenating and energizing.
- Lavender: Like chamomile, many people say that lavender helps them feel chilled out and relaxed before sleep.
- Peppermint: According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, "peppermint oil has been used topically for tension headaches, and a limited amount of evidence suggests that it might be helpful for that purpose.”
- Rose: A 2017 study concluded that “rose oil had physiological and psychological relaxation, analgesic and anti-anxiety effects.”
- Vetiver: A 2017 review listed vetiver oil as an essential oil used in dermatology for “acne, antiseptic, balancing sebum, cuts, eczema” and more.
- Ylang-ylang: In a 2006 study of healthy volunteers, people who received ylang-ylang oil “rated themselves more calm and more relaxed” than the control group.
That’s only a small sampling of the oils that you can pick for aromatherapy. There are many, many more to check out! However, these are some of the most widely available, so you’ll have an easy time picking them up for a quick start.
Try these DIY aromatherapy projects with CBD
Made your signature oil blend? Once you’ve mixed them up in a carrier oil with CBD, it’s time to actually do something with it!
Try starting with some of these easy projects:
1. Bath bombs: DIY bath bombs are one of the easiest at-home cosmetics projects. All you need to get started are some household items like baking soda, Epsom salt, corn starch, citric acid, and coconut oil.
2. Roller oils: You need roller bottles and tops to get started with this one, but you can find them online. Just pick a carrier oil that you can apply to the skin (we like coconut) and mix away.
3. Diffuser oils: You can make DIY aromatherapy oil to vaporize and diffuse (with reeds, aromatherapy vaporizers, or even some humidifiers) using a ratio of 70% carrier oil and 30% essential oil blend.
4. Creams or lotions: You can make DIY skincare with CBD using ingredients like cocoa butter, shea butter, avocado oil, and essential oils. There are a million ratios to use, so it may take some trial and error to land on your favorite recipe!
5. Bath salts: You can mix your finished oil blend right into a jar of Epsom salts with some citric acid for preservation. It’s the easiest project.
6. Massage oils: Another easy-peasy DIY. You can make CBD massage oils by choosing a carrier oil that’s skin-friendly (like coconut, olive, or sunflower seed oil) and bottling it up after mixing in your blend.
Sunday Scaries can help you decompress in your DIY happy space
If all of that DIY sounds a little complicated and you just want to chill—or you like your CBD tasty, not topical—Sunday Scaries has some premixed potions for you! Pop a few CBD gummies, tear into a little unicorn jerky, or dribble a little tasty tincture under the tongue!
Check out our selection of CBD products. The best part: subscribing to a monthly shipment gets you 20% off and free shipping!