Cannabidiol or CBD as it’s widely known has been slowly but surely creeping its way into many different facets of our lives. Not only can you find this non-psychoactive hemp and cannabis chemical in pastries such as cookies, but today, you can also find it as part of the ingredients in your local bar, coffee shop or juice shop cocktail menu.
While it is true that CBD contains no THC and therefore cannot get you high, it still carries some of the favorable effects delivered by your run of the mill marijuana: relaxation and mild sedation. With just the right dosage of CBD, you’ll feel very laid back and covered by serenity. That is probably one of the main reasons why bartenders and cocktail masters around the country are experimenting with CBD as part of their signature cocktail recipes.
Can You Put CBD Drops in a Drink?
There are very many ways to include CBD in your day to day life nowadays. For those who don’t consider vaping an option, you could:
- Use CBD in the form of a lotion which gives you a localized effect
- Drop a bit of CBD Oil under your tongue for quick absorption
- You could also take them as CBD Gummies for a mellowed out effect (there are even Vegan CBD Gummies on the market now)
- Drink straight up a CBD energy shot
You can also add drops of CBD Oil to food and beverages to make them easy to use.
Can You Put CBD Tincture in Water?
Considering the fact that we are talking about putting CBD into various cocktails, it’s only natural that you might be wondering whether or not you can put your favorite brand of CBD Tincture in water.
The truth is that tinctures are often taken by putting your preferred number of drops under your tongue. This method, which is referred to as sublingual ingestion, allows the arterial blood vessels under your tongue to quickly absorb the tincture for rapid effect.
That being said, if you are not very keen on putting a few drops under your tongue and would like a way to get the same effects from your tincture but at a slower pace, you can always mix it with water, juice or your favorite beverage. You will still get the same calming effects, but the results won’t be as rapid because the tincture will be absorbed more slowly by your liver.
Can You Drink Alcohol with CBD?
There is always a concern when it comes to mixing psychoactive substances with alcohol. However, since CBD doesn’t have THC, the psychoactive chemical in cannabis, it’s very safe to mix with alcohol. Much like alcohol, small doses of CBD tend to have an alerting and energizing effect.
Larger doses, on the other hand, produce more relaxing and sedative-like effects. This works in perfect conjunction with alcohol, which is technically a depressant that can have energizing and stimulating effects in smaller doses.
The fact that you can safely mix CBD with alcohol is probably one of the main reasons why mixing it with beer, and other alcoholic cocktails are quickly becoming popular.
CBD Cocktail Recipes You Should Try
While it is true that the effects of taking CBD infused cocktails tend to vary from person to person, the general feeling is often one of mild euphoria although not comparable to the kind of euphoria that you get from THC. This is more of a calming and relaxing effect.
There are reports that not only does it enhance the flavor of the drink/cocktail but that it also goes a long way in reducing the negative effects of intoxication. Although there is no research to support this claim, there are some studies that have shown CBD use can reduce nausea, which is a feeling that tends to come with over-indulging.
Make no mistake, if you drink too many of these cocktails, you will still get sick. CBD just helps you enjoy your drink a little bit more, but you still have to practice some restraint.
Here are some recipes of CBD infused cocktails that you might want to try:
This is very much the regular Cosmopolitan but with a CBD twist:
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1/4 oz. CBD syrup
- 1 oz. cranberry juice cocktail
- 3/4 oz. Triple sec
- 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
- Orange twist, to garnish
How to Make the CBD-Infused Cosmopolitan
- Take a cocktail shaker and mix the vodka, CBD syrup, cranberry juice, Triple sec and the lime juice
- Add some ice and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds
- Use a slotted spoon or a strain to strain the concoction into your favorite martini glass
- Garnish it with the orange twist and enjoy
This is a tropical drink that will have you feeling as if you are on vacation. (created by Jerrod Gardiner)
- 1.5 oz. mezcal (infuse 8 oz. with 1 tbsp of Togarashi or any chili powder blend; let sit for 20 minutes)
- 3/4 oz. watermelon juice
- 1 oz. coconut cream
- 3/4 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz. heavy cream
- Peychaud bitters (you can also use Angostura bitters instead)
- 8 mg CBD oil
- 1/4 oz. lime juice
- fresh mint leaves to garnish
How to Make The CBDiki
- Take a cocktail shaker and mix all the ingredients in it except the mint and the bitters and shake vigorously
- Fill a glass with ice
- Strain the cocktail mix over the glass of ice
- Garnish with 7 or 8 dashes of bitters and mint
The Stoned Fruit
This is a fruit punch that has just the right kick (created by Max Reis)
- 15 mg CBD tincture
- 2 oz. mezcal
- 1 oz. yuzu juice
- ¾ oz. Aperol
- ¼ oz. simple syrup
- ½ oz. apricot brandy
- ½ a plum, apricot or nectarine
How to Make the Stoned Fruit
- Take your cocktail shaker and combine the Yuzu juice and your fruit of choice
- Add every other ingredient and some ice into the shaker and shake vigorously
- Strain the concoction over a glass with ice cubes in it
- Garnish with your preferred seasonal fruit
These are just a few cocktail recipes that you can experiment with when using CBD. Think of it this way; you can include CBD in almost every single one of your favorite cocktail. It works with tea and coffee too!