CBD for Golf: Can it Help your Golf Game?
Golf is a game of precision, focus, and endurance, and any edge a player can gain could make the difference between a good round and a great one.
In the quest to enhance performance, some golfers are turning to an unlikely ally: CBD. This non-psychoactive compound derived from hemp has been making waves in the sports world for its potential benefits, which may extend to the green.
In this article, we'll explore what CBD is, how it can help with the yips and how it might give your golf game a hole-in-one advantage.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a natural compound found in hemp plants. It's one of over 100 cannabinoids, but it differs significantly from its more infamous counterpart, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), in that it doesn't produce a 'high' or psychoactive effects.
CBD has attracted significant interest due to its potential therapeutic properties, which include, but are not limited to promoting a sense of calm and relaxation, increasing focus and concentration and relieving body aches.
How can CBD help on the Golf Course?
While there is still limited research on the specific effects of CBD on golf performance, some evidence suggests that it may benefit golfers in various ways.
Here are a few potential benefits of incorporating CBD into your pre and post-golf routine:
1. Reducing Pre-Round Anxiety
Golf can be a mentally taxing game, and many players struggle with pre-round jitters and anxiety. CBD has been shown to have calming effects on the mind, making it an ideal supplement for those looking to take the edge off before teeing off.
2. Improving Focus and Concentration
In golf, a split-second lapse in concentration can lead to a missed putt or errant drive. CBD may promote a relaxed and focused state of mind, allowing golfers to stay present and perform at their best.
3. Alleviating Aches and Pains
Golf is a physically demanding sport, and many players experience sore muscles and joints after a round. CBD's anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce these pains and aches, allowing for quicker recovery and better performance on subsequent rounds.
4. Improving Sleep Quality
Quality sleep is crucial for optimal performance on the golf course. Ever tried to go to bed early the night before a big round and your mind chatter won't stop? Causing you to toss and turn all night and not being able to fall asleep? CBD is known to help induce sleep, keep you slumbered throughout the night and have you waking up non-groggy.
5. Eliminating the Yips
The yips, the nervousness you feel when standing over the ball while your mind causes feelings of self-doubt, can wreak havoc on a golfer's game. CBD's potential calming effects may help reduce these tremors and promote smoother, more controlled putting strokes.
What Are The Golf Yips?
The golf yips are a psychological phenomenon that affects many golfers, causing them to struggle with their putting stroke. It is characterized by involuntary jerks or tremors while attempting to putt, which can lead to missed putts and a decline in overall performance.
The term “yips” was first coined by the Scottish golfer Tommy Armour, who used it to describe what he assumed to be a mental condition that threw off his putting.
However, yips now encompasses much more than simply short game impairment, and it can even refer to more sports than golf alone, including basketball, darts and baseball.
While the exact cause of the yips is not fully understood, it is believed to be linked to anxiety and a loss of confidence on the course. This can create a vicious cycle, as poor putting leads to more anxiety and further exacerbates the problem.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the most common physical symptom of the yips is a twitching wrist. What's more: this annoying phenomenon is actually more closely associated with experienced golfers.
It sucks, but apparently the more golf you play, the more prone you are to the yips. And... the more you're going to care about it.
5 Ways To Get Rid Of The Golf Yips
Here are 5 expert suggestions for treating and getting rid of the yips:
- Step Back, Shake Out Your Arms & Reset: If, for even a few seconds, you're standing in one specific position trying to get the perfect form and angle, you've probably already over-thought the shot and have already made unnatural adjustments. Take a moment to reset yourself.
- Learn How To Focus Better In Order To Calm Your Mind: Focus on the tiniest spot you can find on the course or near the back of the cup. Spending effort on isolating a specific spot will help calm your mind. Plus, "aim small, miss small" isn't a myth.
- Imagine You're Still At The Driving Range: This is particularly useful when the yips are disrupting your driving or chipping-game. You hit a bucket of balls perfectly before the round, but now you've lost your touch. Instead of focusing on the traps, the hazards or your last shot, close your eyes for a second and imagine you're still just aiming at the white, 150-yard marker again. No pressure.
- Take A Stretch: Instead of pounding a White Claw or puffing a cigar while the rest of your group tees-off, try stretching. Stretching improves blood flow and will reduce the tension and tightness in your muscles. You many not realize it, but when you're cringing to maintain the proper form, you're also locking up your muscles. Give them a break and they'll give you one too.
- Take CBD Products: Not only can CBD help reduce tension in your muscles by helping with inflammation, but CBD can also help calm your racing mind. Since golf yips are half psychological, it's also important to have a clear mind instead of a traffic jam of thoughts in your head.
Treating The Golf Yips With CBD Products
Incorporating CBD products into your golf routine could be a game-changer, especially if you're grappling with the golf yips.
CBD oil, one of the most popular forms of ingesting CBD, has shown promising results in managing performance anxiety and muscle tension, two major contributors to the yips.
When golfers struggle with their putting or driving, a large part of this is often due to mental pressure. Taking CBD can help to create a sense of calm focus, helping golfers to maintain concentration and not falter under the pressure.
Several CBD companies offer a range of products aimed at athletes, with Full Spectrum CBD being one of the most potent options.
Full Spectrum CBD refers to products that contain all the cannabinoids that occur naturally in the cannabis plant, including THC. However, these products are usually low in THC, meaning they won't cause the 'high' associated with marijuana.
Full Spectrum CBD (vs Broad Spectrum CBD or Isolate) offers the highest benefits of the 'entourage effect', where all the cannabinoids work together for an enhanced effect.
The anti-inflammatory properties of this CBD variant can help alleviate physical discomfort such as muscle and joint pain from a rigorous round of golf.
Thus, using CBD products could be an effective treatment for the yips, addressing both the psychological and physical factors that contribute to this unwanted phenomenon.
The Best Golf CBD Products
We put together a list of CBD products for you and outlined which products to take for each part of your golf game:
1. Reducing Pre-Round Anxiety
For reducing pre-round anxiety and promoting a calming effect when getting the first tee jitters, Extra Strength CBD Gummies are your best bet. Consuming an extra strength CBD gummy with Full Spectrum oil can lead to reduced anxiety while you play golf.
2. Improving Focus and Concentration
For increased focus and concentration try CBD gummies that are enhanced with Vitamin C and use a Full Spectrum blend. Taking CBD with Vitamin C can also help boost your immune system which is an added bonus.
3. Alleviating Aches and Pains
For addressing muscle soreness or any pain caused by walking the golf course try a CBD tincture. Tinctures come in small bottles with a pipette so you can easily store them in your golf bag without fear of them melting like CBD gummies might. Phil Mickelson purportedly consumed some CBD drops during the 2019 Masters.
4. Improving Sleep Quality
When searching for the best CBD product for sleep aid, ensure to look for Full Spectrum blends that are enhanced with CBN. CBN, also known as Cannabinol, is a compound found in the hemp plant and has been shown to have sedative effects. CBD sleep oil will promote a deep sleep while encouraging a healthy recovery and without leaving you feeling groggy the next day.
5. Eliminating the Yips
CBD's potential impact on the central nervous system (CNS) could be particularly beneficial for golfers dealing with the yips. The CNS consists of the brain and spinal cord, and it plays a crucial role in controlling movements and reactions, which are essential in golf.
CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system within the CNS, which is involved in regulating a variety of bodily functions, including mood, pain sensation, and muscle control.
By interacting with the receptors of this system, CBD could help regulate and stabilize these functions, thereby potentially reducing the involuntary movements and anxiety associated with the yips.
The best CBD product to cure the yips is Extra Strength CBD Gummies.
How to Incorporate CBD into your Golf Routine?
If you're interested in trying out CBD for your golf game, here are a few tips on how to incorporate it into your routine:
- Start with small doses: For CBD use it's always best to start with a low dose and gradually increase as needed. This allows you to find the perfect dosage for your body.
- Take it regularly: Consistency is key when using CBD products. Incorporating it in your daily routine will allow your body to reap the benefits consistently.
- Experiment with different products: CBD comes in various forms such as oils, gummies, and topicals. Also, experiment with different oil blends like Full Spectrum (with THC), Broad Spectrum (with all cannabinoids except THC) or Isolate (pure CBD in it's isolated form) to find the one that works best for you.
- Don't forget about other factors: While CBD may help alleviate the yips, it's important to also focus on other aspects of your game, such as technique and mental preparation.
Inserting CBD into your golf routine could be a game-changer, helping you to improve your focus, reduce muscle tension and ultimately eliminate the yips.
Give it a try and see the difference it can make in your game, maybe that four-letter word might change for you.
The PGA's Stance On CBD Oil
The PGA allows CBD in it's pure form. According to Andy Levinson, the senior vice president of PGA tournament administration, CBD falls under the same category as permitted supplements.
"CBD in its pure form is not prohibited," Levinson said. "But the use of CBD in any of its currently available forms would be at a player's own risk."
The move to allow CBD in the PGA came after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) removed CBD from its banned substance list in 2018. The World Anti-Doping Agency is the highly regarded agency that regulates olympic athletes.
However the PGA has released numerous statements regarding how important it is to buy CBD from trusted, well-established and tested brands.
Many CBD products are not reliable, not 3rd party tested and may contain THC, which is still a banned substance in the PGA.
How to Make a Purchase Decision on CBD Products Based on PGA Rules
- If you are on the PGA Tour, you cannot fail a drug test, and you don't care about experiencing all the cannabinoids the hemp plant has to offer, then consider purchasing CBD Isolate.
- If you are aren't on the PGA Tour, you're looking to experience some benefits of cannabis but you are sensitive to THC, consider purchasing Broad Spectrum CBD.
- If you aren't on the PGA Tour, you're not sensitive to a little THC, and you're looking to experience the optimal overall health benefits that the cannabis plant has to offer then consider purchasing Full Spectrum CBD.
What Famous Golfers Have to Say about CBD
CBD has already started to become popular among professional golfers like Charley Hoffman, David Toms, Vaughn Taylor, DJ Trahan, Kenny Perry, Tom Kite, Scott Piercy and more!
Check out what some of them have to say about CBD use:
Bubba Watson - This two-time Masters champion has been an open proponent of CBD and he partnered with cbdMD in 2019. He said "“I’ve had doctors involved to do my research and see what companies out there make a product that’s safe for me and safe for my family. It was a no brainer, there’s no bad stuff in it, there are no chemicals in there that will mess you up or make you fail a drug test."
Lucas Glover - The American professional golfer best known for winning the 2009 U.S. Open said “I don’t think it’s a coincidence [that I’m having my best season in more than a decade]. I’m sleeping better and I feel like my recovery is better. As far as my overall health, I feel great. I can tell the difference when I wake up in the morning and that’s a big part of it.”
Scott McCarron - This PGA Tour Champions player has been outspoken about his use of CBD oil for improved sleep and body recovery. He has been quoted saying, “I think there was a misconception of what it really was, a hemp oil. I think there was a lot of buzz about it, but people weren't really sure. I wasn't really sure what to think of it. But when you find out what's really in it, what isn't in it, that it's natural and that the levels of THC are so minute, I think it's going to continue to take off.”
How CBD for Golf Can Help with the Sunday Scaries
The term "Sunday Scaries" refers to the anxiety that sets in on Sunday evenings in anticipation of the upcoming week.
This feeling can be especially intense for golfers who are preparing for tournaments or important matches or who just want to check out from work and play golf with reduced anxiety.
CBD could be a potential game-changer in combating these Sunday Scaries. With its stress-reducing properties, CBD can help calm the nerves, enabling golfers to focus better on their game.
Moreover, the improved sleep quality that many users report can contribute to a rested and more relaxed state of mind, reducing the intensity of the Sunday Scaries.
Finally, CBD can help with hangover symptoms, so taking some CBD gummies before you tee off can help cure the shakes, relieve your headache and eliminate your self-doubt.
Regular and strategic incorporation of CBD into one's golf routine can help you detach from work, not worry about the upcoming week and step up to challenges with vigor and a calm mind.
From alleviating performance anxiety to providing relief from the yips, CBD has emerged as a potential game-changer in the world of golf.
The use of CBD, specifically the best CBD products for golf like Extra Strength CBD Gummies, has been found beneficial in regulating functions such as mood, pain sensation, and muscle control.
Hemp products have garnered popularity among some of the most famous golfers, with players like Bubba Watson, Lucas Glover and Scott McCarron attributing better sleep, improved recovery, and enhanced performance to them.
Remember, not all CBD products are created equal, so it's crucial to opt for reliable, third party tested brands, especially if you're on the PGA Tour.
Whether you're a professional golfer or a weekend warrior, adding CBD gummies or other hemp-derived products to your routine could enhance your game, but it's always recommended to start with small doses, increase as per your body's requirements and use them regularly.